This is BizOppers

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Technology Evolution

Today we’re living in a very advanced and dynamic world. We’ve got amazingly fast and flexible communication devices. One of the very basic examples is CELL PHONE. We dial few digits and off you go with no wire or anything like that. It happened to me that I had to visit a few Local Telephone Exchanges where I learned a lot about the stuff behind our home telephone lines. Then I compared the CELL PHONES with Land Line in my mind and was stunned. Here’s my comparison of the Land Line Telephone VS Cell Phones

The biggest mess in Land Line is WIRES. Everything is wired. From home to Telephone Exchange and then from that local exchange to other exchanges and so on. Wires never leave the system. Almost 10,000 pairs of copper wire ending up in local exchange. It means 20,000 wires. That’s a lot of mess. Now every pair has to be terminated in a TAG BLOCK. There are different tag blocks of different capacities like 50, 100 etc. When I entered in a room called THE MDF (MAIN DISTRIBUTION FRAME) ROOM. I was amazed to see such a big mess of wires. I’m putting some pictures below so that you can have a better idea about the MDF.
Now on the other hand the wireless communication system is very simple and smart. It has no mess of wires and does not even require a lot of space. A tower and a few RACKS. I know that it’s a very basic level information if you are a technical person but I’m putting this up for those who don’t know much about it.


MDF in a telephone exchange
This is where user wires are terminated, a huge MDF


Wires in a telephone exchange
Wires, Wires and only Wires


MDF in a telephone exchange
Another MDF


A TRUNK LINE CABLE
A TRUNK LINE CABLE (AKA) PRIMARY CABLE (can you count the wires ?)


A Cell Phone Radio Tower
A Cell Phone Radio Tower


A Cell Phone Radio Tower
Another View


Wireless Local Loop
That's what they have down in the small room.

No comments:

Post a Comment